Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Graffiti: Crime or Art Form?


Should graffiti be considered a crime or celebrated as an art form? I think to really answer this question appropriately, we need to investigate graffiti through more specific categories. People who are not a part of the hip hop culture, or don’t even have at least an understanding for it, tend to generalize graffiti and look at it right away as gang related or violating property. But they do not understand that graffiti does not only consist of violating property and gang names being spray painted on a wall to claim ownership of an area, but it has developed so much to the point that graffiti pieces are being sold in art galleries for hundreds of dollars. "To an extent, some graffiti is used in a positive way to get a message across or to remember someone -- that I would consider an art form. I think when people just tag walls and stuff, it tends to look trashy." (Young, 2003). As Young explained, while some forms of graffiti may be looked at poorly, there are also other forms that have brought new light to culture and proved themselves to be worthy of being considered art. Graffiti can be categorized as three main sections which are tagging, throw ups, and bomb art. I find bomb art and throw ups to be incredible pieces of work which are definitely an art form in my mind, but I do agree that tagging can be considered a crime.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Elana

    Thats a really interesting topic that you have choosen, looking forward to reading the rest of your filter blog=]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    You mention young 2003 as you discuss art form versus trash. Did you get that from one of your websites. If so put a link under "young" to that website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tasneem! I have now added to my blog! Check it out and tell me what you think!

    Frank, Yes it was from a website and I have now edited it so its a link to the site! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete